- Serves: 6
- Cook Time: 1 hour 30 minutes
- Prep Time: 25 minutes
- Effort: easy
- 4 tbsp olive oil
- 2 aubergines, sliced
- 5 large onions, sliced
- 450 g minced lamb
- 150 ml red wine
- 1 cinnamon, stick
- 1 large sprig thyme
- 1 pinches black pepper
- 6 tomatoes, skinned and sliced
- 150 ml lamb stock
- 4 tbsp tomato purée
- 2 eggs
- 3 tbsp milk
- 3 tbsp double cream
1. Preheat the oven to 180ºC/gas4.
2. Heat two tablespoons of olive oil in a large frying pan.
3. Add in the aubergine slices and fry, stirring now and then, until browned. Set aside the fried aubergine.
4. Heat the remaining olive of oil in a large frying pan and add in the onions.
5. Cook gently for 15 minutes, stirring often, until browned and soft.
6. Add in the minced lamb and fry, stirring often, until browned on all sides, spooning off any excess fat and liquid.
7. Add the red wine, cinnamon and thyme. Bring to the boil and cook briskly until the red wine is reduced by half. Season with salt and freshly ground pepper and remove the cinnamon stick.
8. Place half the fried aubergine in the bottom of an ovenproof dish. Spoon over the lamb mixture, then top with the remaining fried aubergine and finally the tomato slices.
9. Mix the stock with the tomato puree and pour into the dish.
10. Bake in the oven for 30 minutes.
11. In a bowl, beat together the eggs, milk and cream and season well with salt and freshly ground pepper.
12. Pour the egg mixture over the baked lamb.
13. Return the dish to the oven and bake for a further 15 - 20 minutes or until the sauce is set and the mixture firm and golden brown.
14. Serve with a Greek salad, composed of lettuce, tomatoes, cucumber, feta and olives.
Rate This Recipe