- Serves: 6
- Cook Time: 5 minutes
- Prep Time: 25 minutes
- Effort: easy
- 12 passion fruit
- 2 sheets leaf gelatine
- 300 ml unsweetened condensed milk
- 4 egg whites
- 6 tbsp caster sugar
Tips and Suggestions
Passion fruit - granadilla - is the fruit of a flowering vine native to the rainforests of Brazil.
When buying, choose fruits that weigh heavy for their size. When ripe, the skin crinkles up like an elderly prune: if it looks only a little bit shrunk, store at room temperature until it crumples.
1. Scoop the pulp from 8 of the passion fruit and reserve the remaining 4 fruits. Push the pulp through a sieve to separate the juice from the seeds.
2. Tear the gelatine into bits and put to soak in a little cold water for 10 minutes or so, until it softens. If using powdered gelatine, follow the directions on the packet.
3. In a small saucepan, mix the soaked gelatine with half the passion fruit juice and dissolve it over a gentle heat, whisking to blend. Whisk in the condensed milk or cream.
4. Meanwhile, whisk the egg whites until they hold their shape, then whisk in the sugar spoonful by spoonful to make a soft meringue.
5. Fold in the warm passion fruit cream and spoon into 6 individual moulds, or one large mould.
6. Cut the remaining passion fruit in half and squeeze the juice and seeds over the mousse. Serve immediately.
Rate This Recipe