- Serves: Makes 15-18 slices
- Cook Time: 15 minutes
- Prep Time: 25 minutes plus chilling
- Effort: medium
- 500 g mozzarella
- 6 tomatoes
- 10 basil
- 1/2 tbsp olive oil
- 4 slices of prosciutto, (cured ham) or pancetta, sliced into very thin strips
- salt, and freshly ground black pepper
1. Have a large saucepan of just-boiled hot water ready and a large bowl of iced water beside it. Dump the mozzarella into the hot water for between 30 seconds and 1 minute. Dip your hands into the iced water, before lifting the cheese out of the hot water. It should be a stretchy mass. Knead the cheese and stretch it into a wide ribbon or carpet shape. Place on a clean work surface.
2. Make a couple of knicks in the tomato skins. Drop them in a pan of just-boiled water and leave for 30 seconds. Once the skins begin to soften, remove from the water and refresh in iced water. The skins should now peel off easily. Quarter the tomatoes lengthways, remove the seeds and cut the flesh into dice.
3. Scatter the basil leaves and chopped tomatoes over the cheese carpet. Season with salt and freshly ground black pepper. Roll the cheese into a log and place in the fridge to set for at least 10 minutes.
4. When ready to serve, heat the oil in a frying pan over medium heat. Add the strips of prosciutto. Fry for 2-3 minutes until crispy. Drain on paper towel.
5. Cut the cheese log into 15-18 slices and arrange on a serving platter. Top each slice with strips of fried prosciutto.
Rate This Recipe