- Serves: 6-8
- Cook Time: 20 minutes
- Prep Time: 25 minutes plus overnight marinating and freezing
- Effort: easy
- 6 Granny Smith apples
- 400 g puff pastry
For the Mulled wine:
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 1 vanilla pod
- 250 g sugar
- 4 star anise
- 500 ml red wine
- 250 ml water
For the Caramel:
- 40 g butter
- 125 g sugar
For the Rosemary Ice Cream:
- 5 egg yolks
- 45 g caster sugar
- 1 vanilla pod
- 250 ml milk
- 125 ml cream
- 1 large sprig of rosemary
1. First make the mulled wine. Place all the ingredients for the mulled wine in a saucepan and bring to the boil.
2. Add the apple halves, cover with a layer of grease-proof paper and set aside overnight.
3. Once the apples have been added to the wine and set aside, make the ice cream. Whisk the yolks and sugar together in a mixing bowl until pale and thick.
4. Split the vanilla pod lengthways and scrape the seeds into a heavy-based saucepan with the milk, cream and rosemary. Bring the milk mixture to the boil.
5. Once boiled, add a little of the hot milk mixture to the eggs, whisking well.
6. Pour the egg mixture into the hot milk, stirring as you do so. Cook over a very low heat, stirring continuously with a wood spoon, the mixture thickens into custard.
7. Pour the egg custard through a sieve and allow to cool. Once cool churn in an ice cream maker, following manufacturer's instructions. Cover and freeze overnight.
8. Preheat the oven to 180ºC/Gas 4.
9. Drain the apples and pat dry.
10. Roll out the puff pastry to 5mm thickness and cut out a 31cm circle.
11. Melt the butter for the caramel in an 25cm cast iron frying pan. Add the sugar and cook over medium heat until the sugar turns golden-brown and caramalises.
12. Add the apple to the caramel, coating well. Top the pan with the puff pastry circle, tucking the pastry edges down the side of the pan.
13. Transfer the pan to the oven and bake for 10 minutes, until the pastry is cooked and golden.
14. Allow the tart to cool slightly before turning it out. Serve the warm apple tart with the rosemary ice cream.
Rate This Recipe