- Serves: 3-4
- Cook Time: 35 minutes
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Effort: easy
- 5 cloves
- 2 cinnamon sticks
- pinch of grated nutmeg
- 2 slices of oranges, (including peel)
- 2 slices lemons, (including peel)
- 250 ml water
- 4 heaped tbsp brown sugar
- 750 ml red wine
- shot of brandy
- 1 ancho chilli
1. Place all the dried spices along with the orange and lemon slices into a piece of muslin and tie with a piece of string.
2. Pour the water into a large pan and add the sugar with the bag of spices and bring to the boil. Cook vigorously for 2-3 minutes until you start to smell the spices.
3. Add the red wine and the brandy, turning the heat right down.
4. Add the whole chilli and simmer on a very low heat for 10-15 minutes to infuse through.
5. Remove from the heat, ladle into glasses and serve with sumptuous mince pies!
Rate This Recipe