- Serves: 4 or 6 as a starter
- Cook Time: 30 minutes
- Prep Time: 25 minutes
- Effort: easy
- 1 tbsp clarified butter, (ghee)
- 1 onion, chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 2 tsp freshly grated ginger
- 2 green chillies, finely chopped
- 1/4 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp ground cloves
- 2 tsp ground coriander
- 1 1/2 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp turmeric
- 4 cardamom pods, bruised
- 1 tbsp chopped fresh curry leaves
- 1 carrot, chopped
- 1 apple
- 1 large potato, peeled and diced
- 190 g Puy lentils, rinsed and drained
- 2 litres chicken broth
- 1 tbsp tamarind concentrate
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 475 ml coconut milk
- 2 tbsp chopped fresh coriander
1. Heat the ghee or vegetable oil in a large pan over a low heat. Cook the onion, garlic, ginger, chillies, spices and curry leaves until the onion is lightly browned and the mixture is fragrant. Do not over-brown the onion.
2. Add the carrot, apple, potato, lentils and chicken stock to the pan. Cover and simmer for about 15 minutes or until the vegetables are just tender. Discard the cardamom pods and curry leaves.
3. Blend the mixture in a food processor in batches then return to the pan.
4. Add the tamarind, lemon juice, coconut milk and coriander and stir until heated through.
Rate This Recipe