- Serves: 4
- Cook Time: 15 minutes
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Effort: easy
- 4 musk ox escalopes, weighing 100-120g each
- seasoned flour, for dusting
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 4 shallots, sliced
- 225 g wild or cultivated mushrooms, sliced
- 500 ml port
- salt, and freshly ground black pepper
Tips and Suggestions
Musk ox is native to Canada. You can use buffalo or bison meat instead, available from specialist mail order butchers. Alternatively, use venison.
1. Place the escalopes between two layers of cling film and pound with a meat mallet until thin. Dust both sides with well-seasoned flour.
2. Heat the olive oil in a heavy-based frying pan over high heat. Sear the meat on both sides. Once browned, remove from the pan and keep warm.
3. Reduce the heat to medium. Add the shallots and gently fry for 5-7 minutes until beginning to colour.
4. Add the mushrooms and fry for 2-3 minutes.
5. Deglaze the pan with the port. Allow to simmer briskly for a couple of minutes.
6. Place the escalopes on warmed serving plates and spoon the port and mushroom sauce over the top.
Rate This Recipe