- Serves: 4
- Cook Time: 10 minutes
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Effort: easy
- 3 kg mussels, cleaned
- 1.8 litres cider, preferbly Hereford cider, such as Old Rosie
- 600 ml double cream
- 6 banana shallots, sliced very finely into rings
- 6 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- large bunch flat-leaf parsley, leaves coarsely chopped
- crusty bread, to serve
1. Heat a large saucepan and have a tight fitting lid ready.
2. Add the mussels and pour over the cider. Put the lid on the pan and give it a good shake ' the cider must boil and steam open the mussels.
3. When the mussels have opened, stir in the cream and shallots and cook for a few minutes.
4. Stir in the garlic and parsley until well combined and remove the pan from the heat.
5. To serve, put a slice of crusty bread into the bottom of shallow serving bowls, then ladle the mussels and cooking liquor over the top.
Rate This Recipe