- Serves: 4
- Cook Time: 45 minutes
- Prep Time: 20 minutes plus 30 mins standing time
- Effort: easy
- 2 Maris Piper potatoes, peeled and sliced into very fine rounds
- 200 g smoked salmon, finely sliced
- 100 g cheddar cheese, , grated
- black pepper
- 500 ml double cream
- 1 clove garlic, crushed
- 100 ml vegetable stock
- 4 salmon, each 225g, skin on
- 150 g mustard seeds
- vegetable oil, for cooking
- 12 spring onions
1. In a shallow ovenproof dish layer the sliced potatoes, smoked salmon and 50g of grated Cheddar, seasoning the layers with salt and freshly ground pepper.
2. Mix together the cream and garlic and pour over the layered potatoes. Top the potatoes with the remaining Cheddar cheese.
3. Set the potatoes Dauphinoise aside to rest for 30 minutes.
4. Preheat the oven to 180ºC/Gas 4.
5. Bake the potatoes for 45 minutes until cooked through.
6. After the potatoes have been baking for 30 minutes, season the salmon fillets with salt and freshly ground pepper. Press the fillets, skin side down, into the mustard seeds.
7. Heat oil for shallow frying in a heavy-based frying pan. Fry the salmon, skin down, for 6-7 minutes, then turn over and fry for a further 2 minutes.
8. Transfer the salmon to an ovenproof dish and pour over the stock.
9. Increase the oven temperature to 200ºC/Gas 6. Bake the salmon alongside the potatoes for 5 minutes.
10. Meanwhile heat a griddle pan until very hot. Brush the spring onions with oil and griddle until charred on all sides.
11. Serve a portion of the potatoes with 3 spring onions on the side topped by a portion of salmon.
Rate This Recipe