- Serves: 4
- Cook Time: 1.5 hours 30 minutes
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Effort: easy
- 6 tbsp Italian olive oil
- 350 g onions, diced
- 2 carrots, diced
- 400 g diced pancetta
- 1 kg mutton, steak from the leg, cut into 3cm cubes
- 2 tbsp plain flour
- 250 ml red wine
- 80 g tomato purée
- 150 g pitted black Kalamata olives, in olive oil
- 200 g button mushrooms, quartered
- 400 ml beef stock
- 5 bay leaves
- salt and black pepper, to taste
1. Preheat the oven to 180C/gas 4. Heat the olive oil in a large casserole pan and fry the onions and carrots for 1 minute, until they're just beginning to soften.
2. Add the pancetta and cubed meat and cook for about 3-5 minutes, until the meat is sealed. Stir in the flour and cook for a further minute.
3. Pour in the wine and boil down until the alcohol has evaporated.
4. Add the tomato paste, olives, mushrooms and bay leaves and pour in the beef stock. Season with salt and pepper, bring to the boil, cover and cook in the oven for 1hour 30 minutes, until the meat is tender. Serve with a heap of boiled rice.
Rate This Recipe