- Serves: 4
- Cook Time:
- Prep Time: 30 minutes
- Effort: easy
- 2 large onions, chopped finely
- 150 g tomatoes, chopped
- 150 g bottle gourd, or squash, finely chopped
- 4 tbsp chopped red pumpkin
- 4 tbsp chopped fenugreek leaves
- 6 tbsp chopped coriander leaves
- 6 tbsp chopped mint leaves
- 150 g splityellow lentils, (toor dal)
- 300 g mutton, trimmed and cubed
- 1 tsp turmeric
- 1 tsp chilli powder
- 1 tsp sugar
- 450 ml water
- 4 tbsp distilled vinegar
- 1 tbsp sunflower oil
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
1. Tip the onions, tomatoes, gourd (or squash), pumpkin, fenugreek, coriander, mint, lentils, lamb, turmeric, chilli, sugar and water in a large heavy saucepan. Cook until the lamb and lentils are tender - about 1 hour.
2. Mash the vegetables and lentils with a wooden spoon, taking care not to break the meat.
3. Add the vinegar and stir.
4. In a small frying pan, heat the oil. Fry the cumin seeds over a low heat, until they take on a nutty aroma - about 2 minutes. Scatter the cumin over the curry.
5. Simmer for a further 5 minutes and serve hot with brown rice.
Rate This Recipe