- Serves: 4
- Cook Time:
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Effort: easy
- 2 tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 1 clove garlic, finely chopped
- 400g canned chopped tomatoes, blended in a food processor
- 150 ml cold water
- 2 tsp ginger, grated
- 2 green chillies, finely chopped
- 1½ tsp salt
- 1 tsp turmeric
- 2 tsp garam masala
- 2 handfuls of fresh coriander, chopped
- 2 chicken legs, cut into 2 drumsticks and 2 thigh portions and trimmed of excess fat
- 2 potatoes, peeled and quartered
1. Heat the vegetable oil in a large saucepan. Add in the onion and garlic and fry, stirring often, until a rich golden brown.
2. Turn the heat down and add in the tomatoes and cold water. Stir well.
3. Add in the ginger, chillies, salt, ground turmeric, garam masala and a handful of coriander.
4. Cook briskly, stirring well to mix together the onions and tomatoes, until the mixture thickens and reduces.
5. Once the mixture has become shiny and the oil separated from the sauce, add in the chicken, coating well with the mixture.
6. Turn the heat up high and cook briskly for 5 minutes.
7. Add enough boiling water to fill the pan to three-quarters full and totally cover the chicken.
8. Bring to the boil, turn the heat down, partly cover and simmer for 10 minutes.
9. Add the potatoes, stir gently, bring to the boil again and simmer for a further 25 minutes with the pan covered.
10. Sprinkle with the remaining coriander before serving.
Rate This Recipe