- Serves: 4-6
- Cook Time: 1 hour 40 minutes
- Prep Time:
- Effort: easy
For the spice paste
- 4 tbsp coconut, freshly grated
- 1 tbsp cumin seeds
- 1 tbsp coriander seeds
- 1 tsp fenugreek seeds
- 1 tsp black peppercorns
- 4 dried chillies
- 25 fresh curry leaves
For the curry
- 6 tbsp olive or sunflower oil
- 3 green chillies
- 6 garlic cloves, finely grated or crushed
- 1 tbsp fresh ginger, peeled and finely grated
- 2 medium red onions, halved and finely sliced
- 2 medium white onions, halved and finely sliced
- ½ tsp turmeric
- 3 medium tomatoes, finely chopped
- 1 whole chicken, (about 1.6kg) skinned and portioned into 10 pieces (drumsticks, thighs, wings and halved breasts)
- 120 ml coconut milk
- 4 tbsp coriander leaves, finely chopped
Tips and Suggestions
Serve this chicken curry with coconut rice
1. For the spice paste: Set a karhai, wok or small frying pan about 18cm in diameter over a medium heat and add the coconut, stirring until it browns.
2. Add the cumin, coriander and fenugreek seeds, the peppercorns and dried chillies. Continue to stir for 3 minutes.
3. As the spices release their aromas, drop in the curry leaves. Stir for 30 seconds, then cool.
4. Grind in a clean coffee grinder, spice grinder or pestle and mortar to a fine, slightly oily powder.
5. For the curry: Set a large pan about 25cm in diameter over a medium heat. When its hot, pour in the oil.
6. Drop in one whole green chilli. Stir and allow the skin to blister for 30 seconds. Add the garlic and ginger. Fry for 3 minutes, until the garlic just starts to brown.
7. Tip in the onions and sauté for 18 minutes, until soft and golden. Add splashes of boiling water to prevent any sticking. Stir in the turmeric. Tip in the spice paste and incorporate thoroughly for 2 minutes.
8. Add the tomatoes and cook, covered, for about 10 minutes. Stir occasionally, mashing the tomatoes into the sauce and reducing the heat if the tomatoes seem to catch.
9. Add the remaining green chillies, slit lengthways, and 2 teaspoons of salt.
10. Mix well, then add the chicken. Brown the meat for about 10 minutes. Pour in 400ml of water and combine well.
11. Add the coconut milk and coriander. Stir, cover and cook over a low heat for 35 minutes. Serve immediately.
Rate This Recipe