- Serves: 4-6
- Cook Time: 5 minutes
- Prep Time: 15 minutes plus 15 mins resting time
- Effort: medium
- 150 g dried breadcrumbs
- 25 g currants
- 100 g suet
- pinches nutmeg
- 1 egg, beaten
- 2 tbsp Sack, or sweet sherry
- 2 tbsp sugar
- pinches salt
- 450 g unsalted butter, for deep frying
- 600 ml basic white sauce, (unsalted)
- 1 tbsp vanilla sugar
- 1 tbsp cream
- Somerset brandy, to taste
1. Mix the breadcrumbs, currants, suet and nutmeg together.
2. In another bowl, mix the eggs, sherry, sugar and pinch of salt together.
3. Gradually stir the egg mixture into the breadcrumb mixture to make a stiff dough.
4. Form the dough into shapes about the size of a large egg and flatten them slightly. Leave them to rest in a cool place for about 15 minutes.
5. Melt the butter in a large deep frying pan and fry the puddings until golden brown, turning regularly. Remove and sprinkle with caster sugar.
6. Serve with the basic white sauce that has been sweetened with a tablespoon of vanilla sugar and flavoured with a dash or two of Somerset brandy. Add 1 tablespoon of cream to finish it off.
Rate This Recipe