- Serves: 4
- Cook Time: 45 minutes
- Prep Time: 25 minutes plus 1 hr standing time
- Effort: medium
For the pudding
- about 4 tbsp soft butter, plus extra for greasing
- 6 slices white bread
- 2 tbsp lemon curd
- 450 ml milk
- 3 eggs, beaten
- 50 g caster sugar
For the sauce
- 50 g caster sugar
- 1 lemon, zest and juice
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 75 g butter
1. Use some butter to grease the inside of a 900ml-1.2 litre pudding basin and set aside.
2. Remove and discard the crusts from the bread. Thickly butter each slice and then spread with the lemon curd.
3. Warm the milk in a small saucepan. In a small bowl, beat the eggs and sugar together until combined, then pour the mixture into the milk and whisk well. Remove from the heat and set aside.
4. Line the prepared pudding basin with the slices of bread, arranging them so that the buttered side is inwards. Strain the milk mixture over the bread and leave to soak for 1 hour.
5. Put some water in the base of a steamer (or a pot with an upturned saucer or trivet in the base) and bring to a boil. Butter a sheet of greaseproof paper and use this to cover the pudding basin, buttered side down. Top with a piece of foil and tie with string so that the paper and foil stay in place and you have a string handle with which to lift the pudding.
6. Carefully place the pudding basin in the boiling water, and steam for 40-45 minutes, topping up with hot water from the kettle water as necessary.
7. Meanwhile, to make the sauce, place the sugar, lemon zest and juice in a saucepan with 600ml of water. Bring to a boil and boil until the mixture has slightly reduced and thickened.
8. Pour the syrup into the top of a double saucepan (or a heatproof bowl fitted over a saucepan) with boiling water in the base. Stir the beaten eggs and butter into the syrup. Bring back to the boil and whisk continuously until the sauce thickens. Strain into a warm jug or sauceboat and set aside in a warm place.
9. Carefully remove the cooked pudding from the steamer, uncover and turn out on to a warm serving dish. Serve with the hot lemon sauce.
Rate This Recipe