- Serves: Makes 1 loaf
- Cook Time: 30 minutes
- Prep Time: 10 minutes plus proving overnight
- Effort: easy
- 450 g strong bread flour, (white/wholemeal, or a mixture of the two), plus extra for dusting
- 300 ml water
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp easy-blend dried yeast
1. Place all of the ingredients into a large mixing bowl and mix until well combined. Cover with cling film and leave in a cool, dry place for 18-24 hours.
2. Preheat the oven to its hottest setting and place a baking stone or cast iron casserole dish into the oven for 45 minutes.
3. With floured hands, push the sides of the dough in the bowl down and underneath, to make a neat round. Slide the dough onto the hot baking stone and cover with the heat-proof bowl, or into the casserole and cover with the lid. Bake in the oven for 20 minutes, then remove the bowl or lid and bake uncovered for a further ten minutes, or until the bread is golden-brown and cooked through (the loaf should sound hollow when tapped on the bottom).
If you are using wholemeal flour, you will need approximately 50ml more water.
Rate This Recipe