- Effort: easy
For the paste
- 2 dried red chilli, soaked in hot water for 10 min, drained and chopped
- 4 red Asian shallots, chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, chopped
- 4 cm ginger, sliced
- 2 cm turmeric, sliced
- 4 coriander roots, scraped and chopped
- 2 tsp shrimp paste
- 2 tsp Thai curry powder
For the curry
- 4 tbsp coconut cream
- 2 tbsp palm sugar
- 2 tbsp soy sauce
- 400 g skinless chicken thighs
- 250 ml coconut water
- 250 ml water
- 500 ml coconut milk
- 700 g flat egg noodles
- vegetable oil, for deep frying
- 2 spring onions, finely sliced
- A handful of coriander, for garnish
1. In a mortar and pestle pound the chili, shallots, garlic, turmeric, ginger, coriander roots and shrimp paste into a fine paste. Now mix through the curry powder and set aside.
2. Pour the coconut cream into a wok and simmer on medium heat for five minutes. Add the paste and stir until fragrant. Now add palm sugar, soy sauce and chicken mixing until chicken is coated with all of the ingredients.
3. Add water, coconut juice and coconut milk and bring to the boil skimming any impurities that rise to the surface. Reduce the heat and simmer for 30 minutes until chicken is nice and tender.
4. Meanwhile, heat deep-frying oil in a wok to 180C. Slowly slide around 100g of noodles to the wok and fry until crisp. Remove and drain on kitchen paper. Set aside.
5. Divide the egg noodles into 4 portions and blanch them separately in boiling water for 20 seconds, then refresh in iced water. This allows the noodles to develop a nice firmness. Return them to the boiling water for 10 seconds, then place them in the serving bowls.
6. Distribute the chicken with its curry sauce over the 4 bowls of noodles and garnish with crispy noodles, spring onions and coriander.
Rate This Recipe