- Serves: 4
- Cook Time: 20 minutes
- Prep Time: 45 minutes plus 30 mins resting, plus cooling
- Effort: medium
- 6 free-range egg yolks
- 50 g caster sugar
- 300 ml double cream, warmed gently
- 1 tsp ground cardamom seeds
- sugar syrup, for poaching
- 4 slices of bacon, rind removed, cut into thin strips
- 150g cooked noodles, uch as thin rice noodles or cellophane noodles, chopped
- vanilla ice cream, or clotted cream, for serving
- 4 sprigs of mint, to garnish
For the sweet pastry:
- 150 g plain flour
- pinch of salt
- 75 g unsalted butter, chilled and diced
- 25 g icing sugar
- 2 egg yolks
- zest of 1 lemons, grated
1. First make the sweet pastry. Sift the flour and salt together to make a mound on a chilled work surface.
2. Make a well in the centre and add in the diced butter and icing sugar, then place the egg yolks on top and add the zest.
3. Using your fingertips, work in the butter, yolks, and sugar together until the mixture resembles scrambled egg.
4. Working quickly so that the butter does not become oily, work in the flour with your fingertips until the flour has been incorporated.
5. Knead the dough lightly for 1 minute until smooth. Shape the dough into a ball, then flatten slightly into a flat round.
6. Wrap in cling film and chill in the refrigerator for 1 hour before use.
7. Preheat the oven to 180°C/gas 4.
8. Divide the dough into 4 even-sized portions and roll out each portion between two sheets of cling film for easier handling.
9. Remove one side of the plastic cling film from a rolled-out portion of dough and place inside a lightly greased 15cm tartlet tin. Press gently into the tin and remove the remaining top layer of cling film. Repeat the process until 4 15cm tartlet tins have been lined.
10. Line each pastry case with baking parchment and fill with baking beans.
11. Bake blind for 3-4 minutes, then remove the pastry cases from the oven and discard the baking parchment and baking beans.
12. Keep the oven on at 350°C/gas 4.
13. In a bowl, beat together the egg yolks and caster sugar until light and creamy.
14. Add in the double cream and ground cardamom and mix together.
15. Meanwhile, heat the sugar syrup in a wok. Add in the bacon and gently poach until cooked through.
16. Add in the noodles and mix well.
17. Divide the noodle mixture among the part-baked pastry cases. Pour over the egg and cream; mix until level with the top of each pastry case.
18. Return to the oven and cook for around 12-15 minutes until the egg filling is lightly set. Remove from the oven and cool slightly.
19. Serve the noodle tarts just warm with vanilla ice cream or clotted cream, garnishing each tart with a sprig of mint.
Rate This Recipe