- Serves: 4-6
- Cook Time: 30 minutes
- Prep Time: 30 minutes plus 30 mins chilling
- Effort: medium
- 3 large apples
- 2-3 tblsp calvados
- caster sugar, for sprinkling
- 150 ml apricot jam, warmed to make a glaze
- clotted cream, to serve
For the sweet pastry:
- 200 g plain flour
- a pinch of salt
- 100 g butter
- 1 egg, yolk
- 2-3 tbsp cold water
For the frangipane:
- 100 g butter
- 100 g sugar
- 2 eggs
- 50 g flour, sifted
- 75g ground almonds
- a few drops of almond essence
1. Preheat the oven to 200ºC/Gas 6. First make the sweet pastry. Sieve the flour and salt into a mixing bowl. Rub in the butter until the mixture resembles breadcrumbs.
2. Add the yolk and cold water and bring the mixture together to form a ball of pastry. Cover and chill for 30 minutes.
3. Roll out the pastry finely. Line a greased 27cm loose-based flan tin with the pastry. Prick the bottom of the pastry case thoroughly with a fork.
4. To make the frangipane, cream the butter and the sugar together thoroughly using a wooden spoon.
5. Mix in the eggs one by one. Fold in the flour and the ground almonds and mix in the essence.
6. Spread the frangipane mixture evenly over the pastry case. Lay the apple slices in overlapping layers over the fragipane.
7. Gently press the apple slices down. Sprinkle with the Calvados. Bake for 15 minutes until the tart begins to brown.
8. Remove from the oven and sprinkle caster sugar evenly over the top of the tart. Reduce the oven temperature to 180ºC/Gas 4. Return the tart to the oven and bake for a further 10-15 minutes until the sugar has caramalised.
9. Remove the tart from the oven and cool on a wire rack. Brush with apricot glaze.
10. Serve with clotted cream.
Rate This Recipe