- Serves: Fills a 1 litre jar
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Effort: easy
- 1/2 cucumber
- 2 tbsp coarse salt
- 3 carrots, peeled
- 1 onion, roughly chopped
- 1 red pepper, deseeded and chopped
- 1 very small head of cabbage, chopped
- 150 g olives, a mixture of black, violet and green
- 1 lemon
- 500 ml olive oil
- 500 ml white wine vinegar
- 3 sprigs thyme, leaves picked
- 1 tbsp ground caraway seeds
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 1 tbsp coriander seeds
- 2 tbsp harissa
Tips and Suggestions
this is not a true pickle so it won't keep indefinitely, but it will be fine in the fridge for about four weeks.
1. Cut the cucumber into rounds, about 3mm thick, and put in a small non-reactive bowl. Sprinkle with the salt and put in the fridge for 2 hours.
2. Drain off any water that has leached out, then rinse. Gently pat dry and put at the bottom of a sterilised 1 litre jar.
3. Cut the carrots into rounds, about the same thickness as the cucumber, and add these to the jar together with all the remaining ingredients.
4. Mix everything well to make sure you distribute the spices. Cover and leave for a few days at room temperature, shaking the jar from time to time. After that, put your pickles in the fridge.
Rate This Recipe