- Serves: Makes 600g
- Cook Time: 25 minutes
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Effort: medium
- 680 g sugar
- 340 ml golden syrup
- 235 ml water
- 60 ml clear honey
- 2 egg whites
- 340 g -450g blanched almonds
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
1. Line a medium rectangular or square tin or dish with rice paper or wafer paper.
2. Put the sugar, syrup, honey and water into a large heavy-based pan and heat gently over a low heat until the sugar has dissolved completely.
3. Bring to the boil and cook until a temperature of 127C/260F is reached on a sugar thermometer. Alternatively drop a little of the mixture into cold water and a hard ball will form when gathered between your finger and thumb.
4. Whisk the egg whites until stiff in a large bowl.
5. Slowly pour the hot mixture into them, beating constantly until the mixture becomes stiff and waxy.
6. Stir in the vanilla and nuts. Mix well and pour into the lined tin
7. Leave to cool and set. Cut in squares or slices to serve.
Rate This Recipe