- Serves: 4
- Cook Time: 30 minutes
- Prep Time: 25 minutes
- Effort: easy
- 60 g raw walnuts
- 60 g raw flaked almonds
- 60 g raw whole almonds
- 60 g raw pine nuts
- 100 g raw brazil nuts
- 1 garlic clove
- ½ onions, chopped
- 1 large tomato, chopped
- 1 egg, optional, leave out if you want the nut roast vegan
- 1 lemon, juiced
- 1 tbsp brown rice vinegar
- 1/8 tsp ground ginger
- 1/8 tsp ground allspice
- 1/4 tsp ground coriander
- 1/4 tsp umeboshi plum sauce
- 15 g parsley, chopped
- 3 tbsp butter, use vegan butter if you want the nut roast vegan
- 3 large portobello mushrooms, chopped
Tips and Suggestions
You could add 20g goats cheese for added indulgence; if you do, then add this 5 minutes before you take the roast out of the oven so it can melt beautifully on the top.
Umeboshi plum sauce can be found in the world food section at the the supermarket.
1. Preheat the oven to 170C/150c fan/gas 3 and line a 23cm loaf tin with baking paper.
2. Blitz the nuts, garlic, onion, tomato and egg, if using, together in a food processor until roughly chopped then tip out into a bowl. Add the lemon juice, brown rice vinegar, ginger, allspice and ground coriander, plum puree and half of the parsley and mix together thoroughly.
3. In a frying pan, add the butter, remaining parsley and chopped mushrooms and gently sauté until the mushrooms are lovely and soft.
4. Tightly pack the nut mixture into the prepared tin and then pour the mushrooms over the top. Bake in the preheated oven for 25 minutes. Remove from the oven and serve straightaway.
Honestly Healthy For Life: Healthy Alternatives for Everyday Eating by Natasha Corrett and Vicki Edgson. Photography by Lisa Lindner. Published by Jacqui Small, £25.
Want to see more like this? Take a look at lots more of our vegetarian recipes.
Rate This Recipe