- Serves: 6
- Cook Time: 1 minutes
- Prep Time: 20 minutes plus 4-6 hours chilling
- Effort: medium
- 4 star anise
- 2 carrots, roughly chopped
- 2 small white onions, roughly chopped
- 2 sticks celery, roughly chopped
- 2 leeks, roughly chopped
- 1 cup soy sauce
- 5 cm piece ginger
- 1 whole large octopus
- cardamom seeds, crushed
- dill and chervil, to serve
For the lemon and caper dressing
- 1 lemon, juice only
- 1 tbsp chopped shallots
- 1 tbsp capers, roughly chopped
- 4 tbsp olive oil
1. In a large stock pot, add all the ingredients, except the octopus, and bring to the boil.
2. Add the octopus and bring back to the boil. Lower the heat and simmer for 40-60 minutes, depending on the size of the octopus.
3. Remove the octopus and drain well.
4. Remove the legs and season well. Lay out the legs on a sheet of clingfilm and roll up tightly. Pierce the finished roll with a sharp knife to allow excess moisture our.
5. Place on a tray and chill for 4-6 hours.
6. Before serving, make the dressing by combining all the dressing ingredients in a bowl and set aside.
7. Slice the octopus very thinly and place 5-6 rounds on each plate. Brush with the lemon and caper dressing and season with sea salt and cracked black pepper.
8. Garnish with the herbs and serve.
Rate This Recipe