- Serves: 4
- Cook Time: 40 minutes
- Prep Time: 20 minutes plus marinating
- Effort: easy
- 2 onions, chopped
- 4 spring onions, chopped
- sprigs thyme, leaves picked
- 4 cm ginger, grated
- 3 cloves garlic, crushed
- 8 chicken thighs, skin on
- 1 small seasoning pepper, or mild green chilli, finely chopped
- 2 tsp ground turmeric, or 1 tsp fresh turmeric, finely grated
- vegetable oil, for frying
- 225 g callaloo leaves or ½ small Savoy cabbage
- 450 g salt beef, pre-boiled until tender to remove excess salt, cut into 3cm slices
- 225 g pumpkins, or butternut squash, peeled and diced into 1cm cubes
- 1 small fresh breadfruit, , peeled, core removed and cut into 4cm cubes (or substitute 2 large potatoes, cubed)
- 500 ml coconut milk
- 1/2 tsp coarsely ground black pepper
- 2 spring onions, chopped
1. Combine the onions, spring onions, thyme, ginger and half the garlic to make a marinade. Mix with the chicken and leave overnight in the fridge, if possible, or for a couple of hours.
2. Add the remaining garlic to the chicken along with the seasoning pepper and turmeric. Stir well.
3. Heat a splash of oil in a large pan. Add the marinated chicken pieces and fry for a few minutes to brown.
4. Meanwhile, remove the stems from the callaloo and pare off the outer layer. Roughly chop the prepared stems and shred the leaves.
5. Add the callaloo and the salted beef to the pan and stir well. Add the pumpkin and breadfruit and stir again. Leave to cook for a couple of minutes.
6. Pour in 400ml of the coconut milk and season with black pepper. Cover with a lid, bring to the boil then reduce heat and simmer for 2030 minutes without stirring. Top up the pan with the remaining coconut milk during cooking, as needed.
7. Scatter with spring onions before serving.
Rate This Recipe