- Serves: 4
- Cook Time: 20 minutes
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Effort: easy
- 450 g gooseberries
- 150 ml elderflower cordial
- 2 egg yolks
- 35 g caster sugar
- 150 ml single cream
- 1/2 vanilla pod, seeds only
- 150 ml double cream
1. Top and tail the gooseberries and place them into a saucepan with the elderflower cordial. Bring to the boil and then simmer gently for about 15 minutes, until soft. Leave to cool.
2. Place the egg yolks and half the sugar in a bowl and whisk until pale and creamy.
3. Place the single cream, vanilla seeds and remaining sugar in a pan and bring to the boil, stirring occasionally. Pour the boiling milk onto the egg yolk and sugar mixture, whisking continuously.
4. Pour the mixture back into the pan and heat gently. Stir with a wooden spoon until the mixture creates custard with a 'coating' consistency. Strain into a clean bowl and cool.
5. Whip the double cream to the same consistency as the custard.
6. Gently stir the cream into the gooseberries and then lightly fold in the custard to give a marbled effect. Serve chilled.
Rate This Recipe