- Serves: 12
- Cook Time: 10 minutes
- Prep Time: 30 minutes
- Effort: easy
- 375 g puff pastry
- 15 green olives, about 3cm long, stuffed with pimentos
- 1 egg, yolk only
- 1 tbsp milk
Tips and Suggestions
to make eggwash, mix 1 egg yolk with 1 tbsp of milk
1. On a lightly floured surface, roll the pastry out to a 32 x 15cm rectangle, about 3mm thick. Using a cook's knife, cut the rectangle into 2 pieces, one 14 x 15cm and the other 18 x 15cm. Place on a baking tray and refrigerate for 10 minutes.
2. Take the smaller piece of pastry and, starting 1.5cm from the edge, lay 5 olives end to end in a line along the 14cm side of the rectangle. Leave a 2cm space and make another line of 5 olives. Brush all the exposed pastry between the olives with the eggwash (see Cook's Note). Cover with the larger piece of pastry and press the whole surface of the pastry between the olives firmly with your fingertips. Refrigerate for about 20 minutes.
3. Preheat the oven to 200C/gas 6. With a very sharp knife, trim and neaten the edges of the pastry, then cut it crossways into straws about 6mm wide. Lay the straws flat side down on a baking tray and back for 5-6 minutes. As soon as you remove them from the oven, carefully transfer to a wire rack and let cool slightly.
4. Serve the olive straws, preferably while still warm, on a plate or in a tall goblet.
Rate This Recipe