- Serves: 6-8
- Cook Time: 25 minutes plus 5 minutes resting
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Effort: medium
- 4 eggs
- 125 g caster sugar
- 100 g plain flour
- 25 g cocoa powder
- 4 tbsp sugar syrup, or fruit purée
- assortment chocolate
For the chocolate cream:
- 30 g cocoa powder
- 30 g icing sugar
- 500 ml whipping cream
Tips and Suggestions
The sugar syrup can be made with equal quantities of sugar and water.
The fruit purée is simply made by placing your chosen fruit in a food processor so that you get a smooth consistency or by pounding it. You can also push the fruit though a sieve as in the case of raspberries.
1. Preheat the oven to 180°C/gas 4.
2. In a bowl, whisk the eggs and caster sugar together until light and pale (it should leave a trail with the whisk that lasts for around 20 seconds).
3. Sieve in the flour and cocoa and fold in carefully with a spatula. Pour into a non-stick cake tin and cook for 20-25 minutes in the oven.
4. When cooked, remove from the oven and allow to rest in the tin for 5 minutes then turn out onto a wire cooling rack.
5. To make the chocolate cream, pour the whipping cream into a bowl. Sieve the cocoa and icing sugar into the cream and whisk the mixture until stiff.
6. Cut the cake in half horizontally, spoon some sugar syrup or fruit purée onto the cake, add a spoonful of the chocolate cream and spread all over.
7. Place the other half on top and press down gently.
8. Using a palette knife, spread the remaining cream around the sides and over the top.
9. Smooth and level the cream with a warm knife and garnish with all your favourite chocolates.
Rate This Recipe