- Serves: 4
- Cook Time: 15 minutes
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Effort: medium
- 300 g smoked finnan haddock fillets, skinned
- 300 ml milk
- 300 ml water
- 10 eggs
- 40 g unsalted butter
- 60 g freshly grated gruyère cheese
- 300 ml béchamel sauce
- 3 tbsp hollandaise sauce
- 2 egg whites, beaten until stiff
- 1/2 tbsp finely grated parmesan
- 100 ml crème fraîche
- 1 small bunch chives, snipped
- fine sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
1. Preheat the grill to very hot.
2. Place the haddock in a saucepan and pour over the milk. Add an equal quantity of water and poach the haddock over a gentle heat for about 3 minutes, until just cooked. Drain the fish from the pan and gently flake with a fork.
3. Lightly whisk the eggs, add half the smoked haddock and season to taste.
4. Heat a 20cm omelette pan, add a knob of the butter and swirl it around to coat the base and sides. Add a quarter of the egg mixture and cook very quickly, stirring constantly with a fork or spatula until the mixture has lightly set, but is still slightly runny across the surface.
5. Scatter over a quarter of the remaining haddock and the Gruyere cheese.
6. Mix the béchamel and hollandaise sauces together. Carefully fold in the beaten egg white.
7. Cover the omelette with a quarter of the sauce. Sprinkle with a little Parmesan and cook under the grill until lightly browned.
8. Repeat, to make 3 more omelettes and serve straight away with a dollop of crème fraîche and a scattering of fresh chives. Accompany with crisp green salad leaves drizzled in truffle oil.
Rate This Recipe