- Serves: 4
- Cook Time:
- Prep Time: 15 minutes plus overnight soaking
- Effort: easy
- 175 g dried haricot beans
- 2 tbsp unsalted butter
- 8-12 chicken thighs, (2-3 per portion)
- 8 rashers rindless, smoked, streaky bacon, chopped
- 4 spicy sausages, chopped into large chunks
- 2 onions, sliced
- 4 clove garlic, peeled but left whole
- 3 bay leaves
- 1 1/2 tsp dried thyme
- 1 1/2 tsp dried marjoram
- 24 black peppercorns, crushed
- 1 litres chicken stock
1. Place the haricot beans in a bowl and cover with water. Leave to soak overnight, then drain.
2. Preheat the oven to 150°C/gas 2.
3. Place a large, heavy-based, ovenproof casserole over a low heat, add the butter and stir until melted.
4. Increase the heat to medium, add the chicken thighs and cook for 1-2 minutes, turning. Add the bacon and cook for a further 1-2 minutes, until the chicken is lightly golden. Using a perforated spoon, transfer the chicken and bacon onto a plate. Add the sausages to the casserole and cook until golden brown, then remove and place on the plate with the chicken and bacon.
5. Add the onion and garlic and stir, then cook for 2 minutes.
6. Add the drained haricot beans, stir well, then immediately add the bay leaf, thyme, marjoram, crushed peppercorns and 850ml of the chicken stock. Season with a little salt and stir well.
7. Bring rapidly to the boil, then reduce the heat to medium-low, cover and simmer gently for 10 minutes.
8. Remove the lid, stir and return the chicken, sausage and bacon to the casserole, nestling the meat randomly between the beans. Cover, transfer to the preheated oven and bake for 30-40 minutes. Check after 30 minutes to ensure that the cassoulet is not becoming too dry. If so, add the remaining stock to moisten.
9. Serve hot, straight from the casserole.
Rate This Recipe