- Serves: 8
- Cook Time:
- Prep Time: 45 minutes plus 30 mins chilling
- Effort: medium
- 300 g plain flour
- black pepper
- 150 g butter, softened
- 1-2 tbsp water
- 4 tbsp olive oil
- 750 g red onions, finely sliced
- 4-6 shallots, finely sliced
- 1 tsp sugar
- 150 g mild goats' cheese, (such as Chevre de Berry), cut into chunks
- 1 egg
- 3 egg yolks
- 100 ml double cream
- 100 ml milk
- 10 red, yellow and green peppers, sliced
- 10 clove garlic, chopped
- half tsp dried mixed herbs
1. Preheat the oven to 200°C/gas 6. Sift the flour and half a teaspoon of salt into a mixing bowl. Add the butter. Using your fingertips, rub in the butter until abosrbed. Add 1-2 tablespoons of water to make a thick but workable pastry. Wrap the pastry in cling film and refrigerate for 30 minutes.
2. Roll out the pastry finely. Line a greased 28cm flan dish with the pastry. Prick the flan base all over with a fork. Bake the pastry case blind for 20 minutes; remove and set aside to cool.
3. While the pastry case is baking, heat 2 tbsp olive oil in a large, heavy-based frying pan. Gently fry the sliced onion and shallot until softened and lightly browned, stirring now and then, around 15-20 minutes. Season with salt and add the sugar, mixing well.
4. Layer the fried onion over the part-baked pastry case. Top with the goats' cheese and season with freshly ground pepper.
5. Beat together the egg, yolks, cream and milk. Pour the egg mixture over the goats' cheese. Bake in the oven at 200°C/gas 6 for 25-40 minutes until the filling has set.
6. Meanwhile, make the pepper relish. Heat the remaining olive oil in a large, heavy-based frying pan. Gently fry the sliced peppers until softened, around 20 minutes. Halfway through cooking the peppers add the garlic, mixed herbs, salt and freshly ground pepper. Set the relish aside to cool.
7. Serve the quiche with the pepper relish.
Rate This Recipe