- Serves: 6
- Cook Time: 10 minutes
- Prep Time: 5 minutes
- Effort: easy
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- 200 g ground almonds
- 1/2 tsp turmeric
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 2 green chillies, finely chopped (seeds removed if you prefer)
- 4 eggs, separated
- 100 ml double cream
- 3 medium onions, cut in half and very finely sliced
- groundnut oil, for frying
- choppedfresh coriander, for garnish
- chopped fresh mint, for garnish
1. Roast the cumin seeds in a dry, medium-hot pan until aroma is released. Remove from the heat and allow to cool.
2. Mix together the ground almonds, cumin seeds, turmeric, salt, baking powder and chopped chillies.
3. Beat in the egg yolks and cream.
4. Whisk the egg whites to soft peaks and fold into the almond mixture.
5. Separate the onion slices and gently fold into the almond batter, a third at a time, until all the onion is incorporated.
6. Cover the bottom of a frying pan with groundnut oil to about half a centimetre depth and put over a low to medium heat.
7. Using a dessertspoon, fry spoonfuls of batter on both sides until deep brown and crisp.
8. Serve hot and sizzling straight from the pan sprinkled with chopped fresh coriander and chopped fresh mint.
Rate This Recipe