- Serves: 4
- Cook Time:
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Effort: medium
- 25 g butter
- 4 Spanish onions, thinly sliced
- 1 tbsp brown sugar
- 2 tbsp plain flour
- 1 tbsp brandy
- 1/2 tsp freshly ground salt and black pepper
- 250 g ready-rolled rich shortcrust pastry
- egg whites
- 1 egg
- 2 egg yolks
- 4 tbsp double cream
1. Preheat the oven to 190C/gas 5.
2. Melt the butter in a pan set over a low heat. Gently fry the onions for 1 hour, until very soft and golden. Stir in the sugar and sprinkle in the flour. Cook for a further 3 minutes. While the onions are cooking, line a 20cm round flan dish with the pastry.
3. Using the prongs of a fork, pierce the pastry all over the base. Line the pastry case with a piece of scrunched-up parchment paper and fill with baking beans. Bake for 10 minutes, until the pastry is just set.
4. Remove the parchment and beans, and brush the tart shell with beaten egg white. Return to the oven and bake for a further 5 minutes. Leave on one side to cool.
5. Transfer the onions to a bowl, add the brandy and set aside.
6. Beat the whole egg and egg yolks together and add the double cream. Season, and combine with the onions. Pour into the tart shell.
7. Bake for 30-35 minutes, until the pastry is golden and the filling lightly set.
Rate This Recipe