- Serves: 6
- Cook Time: 40 minutes
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Effort: easy
- 2 oranges
- 50 ml brandy
- 50 g sultanas
- 4 cardamom pods, seeds only, slightly crushed
- 350 g ricotta cheese
- 2 tsp cornflour
- 3 large eggs
- 100 g caster sugar, plus extra for dusting
1. Preheat the oven to 160C/gas 3 and grease a 6-hole muffin tin.
2. Finely grate the zest from 1 orange and squeeze the juice from half a zested orange. Leave on one side.
3. In a medium saucepan, bring the brandy, sultanas, orange juice and cardamom seeds to a boil. Reduce the heat and simmer for 5 minutes. Leave to cool slightly.
4. Whisk the ricotta, corn flour, eggs, and sugar together with the reserved orange zest. Pour the cooled sultana mixture into the tin, filling each case to the top.
5. Bake for 35 minutes, or until risen and just golden around the edges. Remove from the oven and leave to cool for a couple of minutes before carefully turning out.
6. Meanwhile, heat a griddle pan over a very high heat. Cut the remaining orange, with the skin still on, into 6 wedges. Dip them into the remaining sugar and place on the hot griddle. Cook for 1- 2 minutes on each side, or until golden.
7. Serve the ricotta cakes hot or cold with the hot caramelised orange wedges.
Rate This Recipe