- Serves: 6
- Cook Time: 20 minutes
- Prep Time: 25 minutes
- Effort: easy
- 1 ready-made plain sponge cake
- 4 oranges
- 50 g unrefined caster sugar
- 125 ml water
- 1 large vanilla ice cream, slightly softened
- 4 tbsp Grand Marnier, or orange liqueur
- 4 passion fruit, pulp removed
- 4 tbsp red fruit coulis
1. Cut the sponge cake into horizontal slices.
2. Line a 1 kg terrine mould or loaf tin with plastic wrap.
3. Using a peeler, pare the zest from the oranges and put into a saucepan. Add the sugar and water - bring to the boil, and simmer for about 20 minutes before tipping into a strainer. The syrup should have almost evaporated. Leave on one side to cool before finely chopping.
4. Peel and segment oranges.
5. Lay a layer of sponge on the bottom of the terrine mould.
6. Sprinkle over 2 tablespoon of orange liqueur and top with a layer of orange segments.
7. Combine the ice cream with the sugared orange zest and spread half over the sponge.
8. Cover the ice cream with another layer of sponge slices and sprinkle over the remaining orange liqueur.
9. Lay over the remaining orange segments and cover with a final layer of ice cream.
10. Cover with the last of the sponge, push to make level and sprinkle with the remaining orange liqueur.
11. Fold over excess cling film and transfer the mould to the freezer. Leave overnight.
12. To serve, cut the terrine into slices with a hot knife and serve with fruit couli and passion fruit pulp.
Rate This Recipe