- Serves: Makes 12 cupcakes
- Cook Time: 30 minutes
- Prep Time:
- Effort: medium
For the cupcakes:
- 2 oranges, scrubbed, not peeled, thinly sliced
- 600 g caster sugar
- 1 tsp gluten free baking powder
- 200 g ground almonds
- 4 eggs
For the chocolate buttercream:
- 100 ml double cream
- 150 g dark chocolate, finely chopped
- 600 g mascarpone
- candied orange peel, to decorate
Tips and Suggestions
The orange purée can be prepared a day in advance and refrigerated until needed.
1. For the cupcakes: Put the sliced oranges, 500g of the sugar and the 250ml water in a saucepan and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat to low and simmer, uncovered, for 1 ½ hours, or until the liquid has almost evaporated and the oranges are coated in syrup. Transfer the contents of the pan to a blender or food processor and blitz until smooth. Let cool.
2. Preheat Oven to 180C/160C fan/gas 4. Put the eggs and remaining sugar in a mixing bowl and whisk with an electric hand mixer until just combined. Add the almonds and baking powder and whisk again. Add the orange puree and whisk until well mixed.
3. Divide the mixture between the muffin cases. Bake in the preheated oven for 25-30 minutes or until well risen and spring back when you press them and a skewer inserted in the middle comes out clean. Remove from the oven and let cool completely on a wire rack.
4. For the chocolate buttercream: Put the cream in a saucepan over medium heat and heat until just starting to bubble around the edges. Remove from the heat and stir in the chocolate. Stir until the chocolate has melted and you have a glossy ganache. Let cool.
5. Fold in the mascarpone and mix gently until evenly incorporated. Spread the frosting over the cold cupcakes using a spatula. Decorate with candied orange peel or grated orange zest.
Rate This Recipe