- Serves: 6
- Cook Time: 45 minutes
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Effort: easy
- 4 tbsp cold espresso coffee
- 2 tbsp cocoa powder
- 2 oranges, zest only
- 9 egg yolks
- 75 g golden caster sugar, plus extra to brulée
- 450 ml double cream
1. Preheat the oven to 140C/Fan 120C/Gas 1. In a bowl, blend the espresso coffee with the cocoa powder and orange zest. Add the egg yolks and sugar and stir.
2. Pour the cream over the espresso mix and stir well. Place a fine sieve on top of a large measuring jug and pour this mix through the sieve into the jug. Pour the mixture into 150ml coffee cups or ramekins, filling them to three-quarters full.
3. Place the cups on a deep sided roasting tray and while the tray is in the oven, create a bain marie by pouring boiling water into the tray until it reaches half way up the side of the cups. Cook for about 40 minutes.
4. To test if done, gently shake the tray. The brulées should be just set while still having a slight wobble in the centre. Remove from the oven and allow to cool. Chill for an hour or until firm. Sprinkle tops with the extra golden caster sugar. Use a blowtorch or place under a really hot grill to brown.
Rate This Recipe