- Serves: 4
- Cook Time:
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Effort: medium
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1 tbsp ground fennel seeds
- 1.5 kg pork belly, skin on and scored
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 150 ml fino sherry
For the anchovy potatoes:
- 450 g potatoes
- 4 cloves garlic, peeled but left whole
- 6 tinned anchovies
- freshly ground black pepper
- olive oil, for drizzling
1. Preheat the oven to 220°C/gas 7.
2. Crush the garlic in a pestle and mortar with a pinch of salt. Add the ground fennel seeds and mix. Rub the mixture generously under the pork belly.
3. Place the pork on a board, skin-side up, and dry off the skin thoroughly with a cloth or strong paper towel. Sprinkle the skin with salt. Place in a large roasting pan, skin-side up, and drizzle with olive oil.
4. Roast in the preheated oven for 30 minutes, then reduce the heat to 190°C/gas 5 and cook for a further 2 hours, until tender.
5. About 50 minutes before the pork is ready, make the anchovy potatoes. Dice the potatoes, place in a roasting pan with the garlic cloves and scatter over the anchovy fillets. Sprinkle with pepper and drizzle with olive oil. Roast in the oven with the pork for about 30-40 minutes, until golden.
6. Remove the cooked pork from the roasting pan and pour off the excess oil, then add the sherry to the pan, place over a medium heat and cook until reduced. Strain and serve over the belly pork with a helping of anchovy potatoes.
Rate This Recipe