- Serves: 4
- Cook Time: 15 minutes
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Effort: easy
- 4 spring onions, shredded
- 2 thumb size red chillies, shredded
- 3 medium aubergines
- 1 litres groundnut oil
- small bunch of fresh coriander, to serve
For the dressing:
- 5 tbsp sweet soy sauce
- 2 thumb sized red chillies, de-seeded and chopped
- 3 clove garlic, finely chopped
- 4cm knob of ginger, finely chopped
- juice of 2 limes
- 1 tbsp rice vinegar, or Mirin
- 2 tbsp sugar
- 1/2 tsp pepper
1. Place the spring onions and chillies into a bowl of water and chill in the refrigerator until required. This makes them crisp and sweeter in taste once cooked.
2. Cut the aubergines into 1cm thick slices. Heat the oil in a wok or heavy based frying pan. It is ready for frying when a piece of bread added to it sizzles immediately.
3. Deep-fry the aubergines until brown and crispy, and then drain on kitchen paper. Arrange the aubergine slices in a large bowl.
4. Place all the dressing ingredients into a small bowl and mix well. Alternatively, pulse them in a food processor.
5. Drain the spring onions and chillies and sprinkle them over the aubergines. Pour the dressing over the salad and serve immediately. Garnish with fresh coriander leaves.
Rate This Recipe