- Serves: 2
- Cook Time: 30 minutes
- Prep Time: 20 minutes plus soaking and marinating
- Effort: medium
For the kimchi style pickle
- 1.2 litres water
- 3 tbsp sea salt
- 325 g Chinese cabbage, washed, halved, sliced into 5cm wide strips
- 125 g daikon or mooli (white radish)
- handfuls carrots, chopped like matchsticks
- 3 large spring onions, finely sliced
- 1 bird's eye chilli
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1 tbsp grated ginger
- 2 tsp cayenne pepper
- 1 tsp sugar
- 1 tsp salt
For the marinade
- 2-3 large red chillies, seeds removed and chopped
- 4 large cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1 tsp grated ginger
- 2 tsp fish sauce, (nam pla)
- 1 tsp brown sugar
- 1 lime, juice only
- 2 tbsp light soy sauce
- 2 tbsp mirin
- 2 tbsp groundnut oil
- 2 tbsp chopped coriander
- 2 x 230 g pork loin
- steamed jasmine rice, to serve
1. To make the kimchi style pickle: mix together 1.2 litres of water with the sea salt in a large bowl and stir to mix well. Add the Chinese cabbage and daikon, place a plate over the top of the bowl to help press the vegetables down, and place covered in the fridge overnight.
2. Remove the bowl from the fridge and strain the vegetables, retaining the salted solution. Mix the vegetables with the carrots, spring onions, chilli, garlic, ginger, cayenne pepper, sugar and salt.
3. Pack the pickle into sterilised jars, and then pour the reserved salted water into the jars filling them and leaving 2cm space at the top. Cover loosely with non-metal lids and leave in a cool dry place for 3-4 days until the pickle has turned sour to taste.
4. For the marinade: put all the ingredients into a food processor and blend briefly.
5. Season the pork loins with salt and pepper and place in a zip lock bag. Pour the marinade into the bag and marinate overnight.
6. Preheat the oven to 200C/gas 5.
7. Place the pork loins in a roasting tin with a few spoonfuls of the marinade and cook in the oven for 20-25 minutes. Heat the remaining marinade in a small pan.
8. To serve: place a bowl of steamed jasmine rice into the centre of the plate. Dress with the pickle salad, place the pork loin on top and drizzle over the hot fragrant marinade
Rate This Recipe