- Serves: 6
- Cook Time: 15 minutes
- Prep Time: 25 minutes plus 1 hour marinating
- Effort: medium
For the marinade
- 4 tbsp olive oil
- 2 tbsp sesame oil
- 1 lime or lemon, juice only
- 1 x 2.5cm piece fresh ginger, crushed
- 2 chillies, finely chopped
- 1 bunch coriander, leaves only, roughly chopped
- 1 small bunch mint, roughly chopped
- 2 tbsp soy sauce
- 2 tbsp honey
- 1 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
For the chicken
- 4 chicken breasts, skin removed
- 6 spring onions, sliced on the diagonal
- 2 tbsp sesame seeds, toasted
For the chutney
- 4 large vine tomatoes
- 1 large clove garlic
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 large red chilli
- 3 tbsp chopped coriander
- 1 tsp chopped fresh ginger
- pinch crushed cumin seeds
- 2 tbsp lime juice
For the cucumber relish
- 1 cucumber, peeled, seeds removed and cut into wafer-thin strips
- 2 tomatoes, skinned, seeds removed and cut into strips
- 1/2 red onion, cut into thin strips
- 1 bunch coriander leaves, roughly chopped
- 1/2 lime, juice only
- 2 tbsp olive oil
1. For the marinade: mix all the marinade ingredients together in a large bowl.
2. For the chicken: slice the chicken breasts into 1cm/½in strips, place into the marinade and gently mix to coat. Leave to marinate for at least one hour in the fridge.
3. For the tomato chutney: place the tomatoes and garlic into a griddle pan set over a high heat, drizzle with the oil and season with salt and freshly ground black pepper. Grill for 3-4 minutes, or until the tomatoes and garlic are well-charred.
4. Remove the tomatoes and garlic from the pan and roughly chop. Transfer to a sieve set over a bowl to drain off any excess liquid, then transfer to another bowl. Add the remaining chutney ingredients, mix well and season to taste with salt and freshly ground black pepper. Chill in the fridge until needed.
5. For the cucumber relish: mix all of the relish ingredients together in a bowl and season to taste with salt and freshly ground black pepper.
6. Once the chicken has marinated for one hour, remove from the fridge and allow to come to room temperature for a few minutes. Heat a griddle pan over a high heat and sear the chicken strips for 2-3 minutes, or until golden-brown all over with some griddle marks. Cook for a further 4-5 minutes, or until the chicken is cooked through. Remove from the pan and season with sea salt and freshly ground black pepper.
7. Arrange the chicken strips on serving plates and sprinkle with the spring onions and toasted sesame seeds. Serve the tomato chutney and cucumber relish alongside.
Rate This Recipe