- Serves: 6
- Cook Time: 4 hours 30 minutes
- Prep Time: 50 minutes
- Effort: easy
For the venison
- 6-8 tbsp olive oil
- 2 venison shins
- 6 banana shallots, sliced thinly
- 1 tsp granulated sugar
- 3x400 g canned chopped tomatoes
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- freshly ground salt and black pepper
For the gremolata rice
- 450 g basmati rice
- 2 cloves garlic, very finely chopped
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 1/2 lemon, grated zest only
- 2 tbsp chopped parsley
1. Preheat the oven to 140/gas ½.
2. Heat the oil in a large casserole and brown the veal for 4-5 minutes on both sides; transfer to a warm dish.
3. Add the shallots and sugar to the pan and fry for 5 minutes, until the shallots are soft and transparent, stirring all the time.
4. Add the tomatoes and garlic and season with salt and pepper. Bring to simmering point and replace the veal in the sauce. Cover and cook in the oven for 4 hours.
5. Remove the casserole from the oven and strip the meat from the bones. Return the meat to the casserole and reheat gently for 10-15 minutes.
6. Meanwhile, bring a large saucepan of slightly salted water to the boil; then add the rice. Stir until the water simmers and cook for about 7 minutes, until the rice is just tender.
7. Drain through a sieve and rinse with hot water.
8. Serve the venison straight from the casserole, with the rice to accompany.
Rate This Recipe