- Serves: 6
- Cook Time: 3 hours 15 minutes
- Prep Time: 25 minutes
- Effort: easy
- 3-4 tbsp flour
- 3 kg veal, cubed
- 4 tbsp olive oil
- 2 carrots, chopped
- 4 sticks celery, chopped
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 pepper, chopped
- 2 chillies, finely chopped
- 6 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 110 g butter
- 10 tinned anchovies
- 800 ml canned chopped tomatoes
- 1 bottledry white wine
- 1 bunch parsley
- 1 bunch thyme
- 1 lemon, zest and juice
1. Preheat the oven to 150C/gas 2.
2. Season the flour with salt and pepper and toss the veal to coat.
3. Heat the olive oil in a large deep pan and cook the veal until golden. Remove the veal from the pan and add the chopped vegetables to the pan with the butter. Cook gently until soft.
4. Add the anchovies, tomatoes, wine, parsley and thyme and cook for 5 minutes, stirring continuously.
5. Place the veal in a casserole dish and pour over the sauce. Add the lemon juice and season with salt and pepper.
6. Cook in the oven for 3 hours to braise. Cover with foil for the last hour.
7. To serve: mix the lemon zest and chopped parsley and sprinkle over the top of the casserole. Serve with mashed potatoes.
Rate This Recipe