- Serves: 2
- Cook Time: 10 minutes
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Effort: easy
- 6 clove garlic
- 4 g butter
- 4 tbsp honey
- 2 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 20 g carrots, cut into long, thin batons
- 20 g celery, cut into long, thin batons
- 20 g courgettes, cut into long, thin batons
- 20 g leeks, cut into long, thin batons
- 2 tbsp plum sauce
- 160 g ostrich, flattened
- chopped chives, to garnish
Tips and Suggestions
Ostrich meat can be purchased at selected supermarkets and at most
delis and good butchers. The ostrich used in this recipe was triple ostrich fillet.
1. Place the garlic and butter in a small, heavy-based saucepan. Fry gently until the onions are glazed on all sides. Add in the honey and balsamic vinegar and cook, stirring often, until the honey mixture has reduced slightly.
2. Meanwhile, preheat the oven to 120°C/gas 1/2.
3. Bring a saucepan of salted water to the boil. Add in the carrot and blanch for 2 minutes; remove with a slotted spoon and reserve.
4. Add the celery, courgette and leek to the same pan of boiling water. Blanch for 1 minute and drain thoroughly.
5. Flatten out the ostrich meat and smear with a thin layer of plum sauce. Place the vegetables on top and roll. Next pan fry the meat in a little olive oil until golden brown. Transfer to the oven and cook for approximately 5 minutes.
6. To serve, put the ostrich roll in the centre of the plate, surround with the glazed garlic cloves, drizzle with the honey and balsamic vinegar dressing, sprinkle with chives and serve at once.
Rate This Recipe