- Serves: 4
- Cook Time: 10 minutes
- Prep Time: 25 minutes
- Effort: easy
- 36 oysters, opened, liquor retained
- 600 ml fish stock
- 1 onion, finely diced
- 1/2 bulb fennel, diced
- 25 g butter
- 100 ml white wine
- 200 ml double cream
- cayenne pepper
- squeeze of lemon juice
- warm brown bread, to serve
1. Melt the butter in a large saucepan. Add the onion and fennel and sweat gently until soft and translucent.
2. Add the wine to the pan and reduce until nearly dry. Add the fish stock and allow the mixture to come back to a gentle simmer.
3. Add 24 of the oysters and the reserved oyster liquor. Simmer for 5 minutes before squeezing in the lemon juice and seasoning with salt and cayenne pepper.
4. Pass the oyster soup through a fine sieve, return to the heat and add the double cream. When the consistency is to your liking, remove from the heat.
5. Ladle the soup into 4 serving bowls and add three raw oysters into each bowl.
6. Serve at once with serve with warm brown bread.
Rate This Recipe