- Serves: 4
- Cook Time: 10 minutes
- Prep Time: 30 minutes plus setting
- Effort: medium
- 12 oysters
- 250 ml Belgian beer
- 3 sheets leaf gelatine, soaked in cold water
- crushed ice, to serve
For the apple salad
- 1 apple
- 1 lime, finely grated zest and juice
- 1/4 punnet coriander sprouts, or
- 1/4 bunch coriander
- 1/4 tsp finely chopped green chillies, seeds removed
- 1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
1. Open the oysters using an oyster knife and strain the liquor through a sieve into a saucepan.
2. Remove the oysters from their shells and chill in the fridge. Rinse the bottom shells and reserve for serving.
3. To make the jelly; add the beer to the oyster liquor in the pan and bring to a simmer over a medium heat.
4. Remove from the heat.
5. Squeeze the soaked gelatine leaves to remove excess water.
6. Whisk the soaked gelatine into the beer mixture stirring well until completely dissolved.
7. Pour through a fine sieve into a shallow plastic tray. Cool and refrigerate for about 2 hours or until set.
8. To make the salad; thinly slice the apple, and cut into fine strips. Combine the apple with the lime juice and zest, coriander sprouts, chilli and olive oil.
9. To serve, cut the jelly into fine dice. Divide between the 12 oyster shells and place an oyster on top of each.
10. Serve the oysters on crushed ice, accompanied by the salad.
Rate This Recipe