- Cook Time: 15 minutes
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Effort: easy
For the dressing
- 1 strip kombu seaweed, about 3cm long
- 75 ml mirin
- 75 ml Japanese soy sauce
- 1/2 lemon, juice only
For the oysters
- 8 oysters
- 1 tbsp sesame seeds
- 1 small thumb very fresh root ginger, peeled, shredded very finely
1. For the dressing: rinse the kombu, pat it dry then place in a small saucepan with the mirin and soy sauce. Bring to a simmer and let it bubble for 1-2 minutes to evaporate the alcohol. Remove from the heat, stir in the lemon juice then transfer the mixture to a bowl and chill.
2. Shortly before serving, shuck the oysters, being careful to retain as much of the interior juice as possible.
3. Heat a small pan and toast the sesame seeds until golden, stirring constantly. Tip them into a bowl so that they don't burn in the residual heat of the pan.
4. To serve, take each oyster and pour over a little of the chilled sauce. Add a pinch of shredded ginger and sprinkle with some of the toasted sesame seeds. Eat!
Rate This Recipe