- Serves: 4
- Cook Time: 30 minutes
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Effort: easy
- 2-3 tbsp olive oil
- 2 shallots, finely diced
- 1 tsp garlic paste, or I fat garlic clove, finely chopped
- 2 skinless, boneless chicken breasts
- 1 red pepper, deseeded and chopped into 2cm squares
- 1 green pepper, deseeded and chopped into 2cm squares
- 1 yellow pepper, deseeded and chopped into 2cm squares
- 350 g short grain rice, (ideally Calasparra)
- 1/4 tsp powdered saffron, or 2 good pinches of saffron strands
- 1 tsp paella spice mix
- salt, and freshly ground black pepper
- 500 ml fish stock
- 16 large tiger prawns, shelled
- 400 g live mussels, scrubbed and debearded
- 100 g garden peas
1. Heat the oil in a paella pan set over medium heat. Add the shallots and garlic and soften for a couple of minutes, stirring, then add the chicken and stir around for 2 more minutes. Add the peppers and cook these for 2 minutes, stirring, before adding the rice, saffron, spice and seasoning.
2. Add the stock, bring to the boil, stir the contents of the pan, then leave to cook over medium heat until the rice is almost tender, but still has some crunch (around 15 minutes).
3. Add the prawns and mussels and cover the pan with a lid. After one minute, remove the lid and discard any mussels that have failed to open. Add the peas and cook for a further 4-5 minutes, until the rice is tender and the peas cooked. Check the seasoning and serve hot.
Rate This Recipe