- Serves: 4
- Cook Time: 45 minutes
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Effort: easy
- 4 chicken thighs, with bone in
- 200 g squid, cleaned
- 4 tbsp olive oil
- 50 g chorizo, sliced into 1cm rounds
- ¾ tsp paprika
- pinches saffron
- ½ tsp dried oregano
- pinches dried red chilli flakes
- 1 tomato, diced
- ½ onions, peeled and diced
- 2 cloves garlic, peeled and finely chopped
- 250 g paella rice
- 750 ml fish stock
- ½ oranges, finely grated zest only
- ½ salt
- 3 tbsp vegetable oil
- 1½ tbsp chopped parsley
1. Preheat the oven to 150C/130C fan/gas 2 and put a baking tray in to heat up.
2. Rinse the chicken thighs and trim off any fat. Season with sea salt.
3. Slice the squid pouches into 1cm rings, place in a bowl with the tentacles, cover and chill until needed.
4. Put a paella pan or shallow casserole dish over a medium heat and add 2 tablespoons of the olive oil. When hot, add the chorizo and fry, stirring, until just coloured. Add the paprika, saffron, oregano, chilli flakes, tomato, onion and garlic. Stir and cook for about 34 minutes until the onion and garlic are softened, then tip in the rice. Cook for about 34 minutes, stirring.
5. Pour in the fish stock and stir in the orange zest and salt. Bring to the boil, stirring occasionally. Turn the heat down to a low simmer. Cook, uncovered, for about 15 minutes, without stirring, until the rice is tender, while still retaining a bite. While the paella is simmering, cook the chicken.
6. Place a heavy-based frying pan over a medium-high heat and add the vegetable oil. Pat the chicken thighs dry with kitchen paper and sear in the hot pan for 45 minutes on each side to colour and crisp the skin. Transfer to the hot baking tray and place in the oven for about 5 minutes to cook through.
7. Heat the remaining 2 tablespoons of olive oil in a large frying pan over a high heat. Fry the squid, in batches if necessary, for 1½2 minutes until lightly coloured. Season with salt and freshly ground black pepper.
8. Just before serving, toss two-thirds of the squid and chopped parsley through the paella and check the seasoning. Top with the chicken thighs and scatter over the remaining parsley and squid.
Rate This Recipe