- Serves: 6-8
- Cook Time: 10 minutes
- Prep Time: 20 minutes plus 2 hrs to overnight resting
- Effort: easy
- 1 round flat loaf country bread, around 400g
- 2 tbsp balsamic vinegar, plus extra for drizzling
- 3 tbsp extra virgin olive oil, plus extra for drizzling
- 1 clove garlic, crushed
- black pepper
For the filling:
- 25 g sun-dried tomatoes, in oil
- 85 avocados, in oilsliced
- 14 black olives, pitted
- 1 yellow pepper, halved, cored and seeded
- 1 red pepper, halved cored and seeded
- 100 g mozzarella, sliced
- 1 large ripe medium avocado, peeled and sliced
1. Preheat the grill.
2. Place the yellow and red peppers under the grill. Grill for 5-10 minutes, until the skin blackens and begins to blister. Remove the pepper from the grill and place in a plastic bag. Set to one side and leave to cool.
3. Slice the loaf in three, horizontally. Generously sprinkle each slice with the balsamic vinegar and olive oil, spread with the garlic and season with salt and freshly ground black pepper.
4. Peel the skin from the grilled peppers and cut into strips. Scatter each slice of bread with the pepper strips, sun-dried tomatoes, artichokes, black olives, mozzarella and avocado. Drizzle over a little extra olive oil and balsamic vinegar and reassemble the loaf.
5. Press the layers well together and wrap the loaf tightly, in foil or cling film. Leave in a cool place for at least two hours or overnight, before serving, cut into cake-like wedges.
Rate This Recipe