- Serves: 4
- Cook Time: 50 minutes
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Effort: easy
- 150 g split red lentils, (masoor dal), washed and drained
- 150 g spinach, washed and shredded
- 2 tbsp sunflower oil
- 2 cloves garlic, whole, bruised
- 1 tsp turmeric
- 1 tsp chilli powder
- 2 tsp lemon juice
1. Cover the lentils with about 300ml of hot water and bring to the boil on a medium heat. Reduce the heat and simmer for about 45 minutes until really soft. Add a little more hot water if the lentils dry out. After cooking, they'll have taken on a yellow colour and should have a soupy texture.
2. Heat 2-3 tablespoons of water in a separate pan and cook the spinach for 1-2 minutes, in an uncovered pan, until the leaves have wilted. Set aside.
3. Heat the oil in a wok or a heavy-based saucepan and fry the garlic until golden before stirring in the turmeric and chilli powder.
4. Transfer the cooked lentils to the wok and add the spinach with its cooking liquid. Stir well to combine everything together.
5. Sharpen with lemon juice and season with salt. Heat through and serve with boiled rice. This dish goes particularly well with dum aloo.
Rate This Recipe